Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Pain Pills: The Debate

I often debate with myself quite a bit before taking a pill for my aches and pains, knowing that with each pill I take, my resistance to its effectiveness is being increased. Here in France, I'm starting to feel a bit self-conscious about buying my painkillers. It's not like back home where I can walk into a large Walgreens and pick up a bottle of 100 Tylenol/Acetaminophen and pay for it with little interaction with the cashier. I have to ask a pharmacist for my Doliprane, and one night, when I was having crisis pain in my arm (I mentioned this a few posts back, it was more mild than an actual crisis because of my diet), the pharmacist asked me if I had a lot of pain, and I said yes, in my arm. Her words, "Vous-avez des douleurs importants?" still stick with me. Should I have explained to her that I have SCA? Not that I was really in the mood to explain anything as I was feeling pretty down. 

Based on the food list that I put up in my last post, I made a handy little health chart today. When I am able to scan it, I will add it as an image here. For now, visualize with me a bit. The chart starts with a list of (Thiocyanate) Rich Foods to Eat Daily or Multiple Times per Week - I added eggs to my list since they are packed with vitamins and I eat them almost everyday, so that is why I put Thiocyanate in parentheses. After that I have a list of my Daily Supplements, which are listed on the side of my blog, and hopefully next week will include Nattokinase, as I am preparing to order it from Amazon. I also have a space to note down if I took painkillers, if I stretched, and am using the back to write down any notes I have about the day. Today, for instance, I noted that I had pain in my right thigh (it's been there all day on and off and I have finally given in and taken a pill for it). On the chart, there is a slot for me to write the date for each day that I jot down information. I made 5 copies of it and am looking forward to being able to see more solid information about what works for me and what does not and how it makes me feel. The charts, combined with my blog, should be a good way to continue on my journey to health. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment